Johannesburg – The common dustbin is a home’s best friend – without it our lives would be a mess. Now Joburg residents are going to be held accountable for this asset.
They have been given until June 30 to verify and register their bins with the City of Joburg, or they will be charged for the highest number of bins.
Residents have all been sent verification notices with their rates and services accounts, to fill in. The council said it needed to update its records.
City of Joburg revenue department spokesman Kgamanyane Maphologela said this process was also needed to ensure residents were not being charged incorrectly.
“We have had complaints from people being charged for two bins when they only have one,” he said.
Sectional title home owners should “engage” with their body corporates if they did not have their own bin for their unit.
“It has come to our attention that some complexes have one bin for two or three units, yet we are automatically charging each owner for one bin. So it is up to them to ensure that they are not paying for nothing,” he said.
Pikitup will be doing spot checks to ensure that the verification notices have been filled in correctly, he said.
Customers should note that all domestic bins are 240 litre bins and the only area using 85 litre bins is Ivory Park, which is serviced by Midrand. The 120 litre bins are used inside the street bins placed on the pavements and do not affect normal residential customers, he said.
The purpose of this exercise, said Maphologela, was to ensure that the database was updated with correct information to “provide effective quality service to customers”.
The form will be posted with municipal statements and needs to be completed, signed and submitted by Sunday.
The bin verification form is also available at any of the customer service centres listed below. It can also be downloaded from www.joburg.org.za.
Forms can also be faxed to 011 727 0189 or dropped off at the following service centres:
* Jabulani Civic Centre – 1 Koma Road, Jabulani.
* Lenasia Civic Centre – corner of Rose Avenue and Eland Street, Lenasia.
* Modderfontein Customer Service Centre – Thornhill Street, Thornhill Estates.
* Midrand Civic Centre – 300 15th Road, Midrand.
* Sandton Civic Centre – Sandpark Building, 24 Fredman Drive, Sandton.
* Roodepoort Civic Centre – 100 Christiaan de Wet Drive, Florida Park.
* Thuso House, 61 Jorissen Street, Braamfontein.
* Ennerdale Extension 9 – Corner of Katz Road and Smit Street, Ennerdale.
* Eldorado Customer Service Centre – 4046 Link Crescent Avenue, Extension 5, Eldorado Park.
* Randburg Civic Centre, corner of Bram Fischer Drive and Jan Smuts Avenue, Randburg.